A Colorful Mind

A Colorful Mind
So much to say and read and do but so little time...

Friday, July 30, 2004

I met Betty today...

Journal entry: 7/21/04
Morehead, KY
9:30 a.m.
I met Betty Hall, the proud proprietor of the Treasure Vault in Morehead, Kentucky, today. She celebrates her one year anniversary as owner of an antique store where "people come from all over, even as far as Areezona, and a few from Califor-neye-ay", she proudly exclaims with her southern twang.  So, I bought a kitchen witch. It's pretty ugly. Like I needed one, wanted one, or even have room to hang one.  It's far from an antique.  Brand-spankin' new, complete with tag, a dollar store find, and I bought it for $2.99 because I had to.  I felt as though I would've insulted this warm-hearted woman, full of southern hospitality, and an owner of a small business--a tough venture for any brave soul nowadays.  For this small token, I was awarded, no correction, blessed with a gift: future contact and recipe exchanges beginning with the infamous Betty Hall Peach cobbler and promises for banana bread down-home style and any jam/jelly receipe that I desire.  All I have to do is report back to Mrs. Hall after trying her peach cobbler, and the correspondence will commence.  This exchange of ten minutes reminds me of the importance of taking time to connect with one another and share in a moment. 


Betty Hall's Cobbler
 
Take a glass pan (8x11) and melt a stick of butter in the oven.  Mix one cup of flour, milk, sugar and beat into a batter.  Pour the mixture into the pan of melted butter.  Take a can of peaches (a bigger size can) and pour on top of the mixture.  Bake in 350 degree oven until golden brown on top.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

But, did ya get the recipe for Tator Tot Pie??? A Kentucky favorite!

Glad you're back you jet setting education wizard you...